In this video workshop, he teaches a new generation of spinners. Watch as Norman discusses and demonstrates
- how (and why) to oil wool for carding;
- how to use hand cards to prepare batts & rolls;
- dressing a distaff and spinning from it;
- creating Shetland-style lace yarn;
- spinning with a spindle, great wheel, treadle wheel, and electric spinner.
Listen as Norman tells stories of how people supported themselves spinning, weaving, and knitting, and drops fascinating tidbits about the history of spinning and weaving. The workshop ends with a communal waulking of woven blankets, right down to the singing of traditional Gaelic waulking songs.
- Video Lesson: Sorting & Washing
- Sorting & Washing a Fleece
- Video Lesson: Cleaning & Picking Wool
- Picking Wool
- Video Lesson: Carding Batts
- Carding a Batt & Dressing a Distaff
- Video Lesson: Carding Rolls
- Video Lesson: The Treadle Wheel
- Video Lesson: Spinning for Lace
- Video Lesson: The Great Wheel
- Video Lesson: Using an Electric Spinner
- Video Lesson: Plying
- Video Lesson: Weaving Blankets
- Weaving Blankets
- Video Lesson: Waulking
- What You Learned
- Course Survey
Beginning Spinning on a Wheel
Get ready to start Beginning Spinning on a Wheel with Kate Larson. Basic plying techniques, how to draft your fibers, and much more!
Three Bags Full by Judith MacKenzie
Have you longed to buy a fleece to spin yourself, but felt a bit lost? This workshop with fiber and spinning expert Judith MacKenzie is like a personal tour of the Estes Wool Market in Estes Park, Colorado.
Color Blending for Spinners with Esther Rodgers
In this course, join Esther Rodgers and learn how to expertly blend fiber to create unique, vibrant colors.