*Subscription includes unlimited access to every workshop (25+), streaming video (100+), WIF library, and digital subscriptions to Handwoven, Little Looms, Spin Off, and PieceWork. After free trial you'll be charged $169.99/year. Cancel anytime within 30 days and you won’t be charged. View all subscription options.
If you'd like to download this video, please visit https://shop.longthreadmedia.com/products/combing-fiber-hd-video-download?variant=29317850464290
Wool combing is a little alarming to the novice—swinging heavy implements with long, needle-sharp teeth can be hazardous. Yet this method of preparation produces the most wonderfully organized, fluffy, silky fiber imaginable. In this workshop, Robin Russo covers the basics and much, much more.
- You'll see a wide range of tools in action, from simple pet combs to hand-held Viking combs, to Russian paddle combs, to classic English combs.
- You'll learn that combing is perfect for cleaning out guard hairs and debris, for blending fibers of similar length, and for true worsted spinning.
- You'll see how different combs are appropriate for different fibers, and how to choose the kind that's best for you.
- You'll learn important guidelines for safety and for equipment care and maintenance.
- And you'll hear intriguing stories of wool combing in history, from martyred saints to craftsmen's guilds.
What Other Spinners Are Saying:
"This is exactly what I needed to get started. You really need to WATCH someone do this before you tackle this skill. I feel confident now that I won't gore myself and can produce some finely prepared fiber for true worsted spinning. If you have been wanting to try this, this is what you need to get started. Video is well-produced with good close-ups and excellent detail." — Catherine D.