If you'd like to download this video, please visit https://shop.longthreadmedia.com/products/know-your-wheel-download-in-hd (this is a streaming only video).
In Spinning Primitive Breeds: How to Spin Icelandic, Jacob, Shetland, and Other Ancient Wools Part 1, Judith MacKenzie delves into the rich and rewarding world of ancient sheep. Beginning with a history of the primitive ancestors of modern sheep, Judith demonstrates how the characteristics of ancient sheep made them perfect companions and helpers of humans. Beginning by examining several fleeces, Judith shows how to choose a primitive fleece, sort it, skirt it, and wash it. This video teaches you everything you need to get a primitive breed fleece ready for spinning.
You'll love this spinning video if you:
- Want to choose a primitive breed fleece for spinning
- Want to learn how to skirt, sort, and wash a primitive breed sheep
- Want to learn more about the historic roots of modern sheep
In Spinning Primitive Breeds: How to Spin Icelandic, Jacob, Shetland, and Other Ancient Wools Part 1, you'll learn how to:
- Identify ancient characteristics of fleece
- Choose a sound and useful primitive fleece
- Skirt the fleece to remove undesirable parts
- Sort the parts of the fleece for different purposes
- Wash the wool easily and quickly
Techniques Demonstrated in Video:
- Testing a primitive breed fleece
- Skirting a fleece
- Sorting a fleece
- Washing wool
About the Expert:
Judith MacKenzie has been spinning and weaving most of her life and has been a textile artist for over thirty years. Judith is a renowned spinner and a frequent contributor to Spin-Off magazine. She writes and teaches extensively and is author of The Intentional Spinner and the forthcoming Practical Spinner's Guide: Rare Luxury Fibers. She is the star of many Interweave videos.